Friday, March 4, 2011

Twins

After a very long day Brownie had twins. A big boy and a tall slim girl. Brownie belongs to a friend so we still don't have a Hidden Haven goat baby.
Last night I noticed a discharge from Brownie so kept a close eye on her throughout the night. This morning when I was feeding she was following me around crying. She didn't want to eat. I checked but she was only dilated at the most 2cm. We moved her into a stall with a baby monitor so I could keep check on her while doing morning chores. I tried to do some things in the house but Brownie was crying so loud I just went out and sat with her. I rubbed her back, sang her songs, told her stories.


Anything to keep her from crying so much. She was only in early labor and was truly being a drama queen. When real labor started and she was pushing and screaming I decided to check her. She wasn't dilating so I called William. He massaged her cervix while I rubbed her back and whispered in her ear. She lay real still like she knew we were trying to help her.

 When the cervix finally softened up We still couldn't feel the kid. William kept massaging and checking until he found it stuck below the cervix pushing to get out. He got the feet and gently pulled and guided as Brownie pushed.


Seemed like forever but in a few minutes a big buckling was out. I suctioned and cleaned him up a little before handing him over to mom to finish the job.


She cleaned on him for a couple of minutes before laying down to deliver baby number two. A slim tall black with a little frost on her ears doeling.

Mom and babies are doing fine.

Babies have nursed, mom had a bucket of nice warm molasses water, some grain and hay. All are resting comfortably under a heat lamp.  Fresh straw was put in the stall after cleaning it. Baby blankets and birthing pad are in the washer in hot, soapy, bleach water soaking before getting washed and dried for the next birthing. Now if Brownies cries didn't scare Buttons and Hayley I might just get to help deliver some Hidden Haven kids!

Sorry about the blurred pictures. I was trying to take pictures with one hand while helping with my other.

10 comments:

amelia said...

Oh Peggy, this made me cry. What an incredible post. Poor Brownie and thank God William and you were there or the outcome might not have been so good. She must have been in considerable pain because animals don't, as a rule, make a fuss. Poor girl and thank God for you two...

Anonymous said...

Great pictures and Brownie was so lucky to have such a wonderful doula/midwife.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!

Amy

JoyceAnn said...

That little buck sure is cute with his white banded belly. Glad to hear everyone's doing well. Hope I don't have to massage the cervix , as I have no clue how to do that (LOL). I'm beginning to wonder if my girls are pregnant or just fat (LOL).

~ Many Blessings ~

JoyceAnn said...

That little buck sure is cute with his white banded belly. Glad to hear everyone's doing well. Hope I don't have to massage the cervix , as I have no clue how to do that (LOL). I'm beginning to wonder if my girls are pregnant or just fat (LOL).

~ Many Blessings ~

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh Peggy, I love this post.. Oh --the miracle of birth. Congrats to Brownie. Twins, huh???? How special....

Glad you and William were there to help.... And I'm glad that all three are doing okay...

Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Lib said...

How Precious!
So happy to see how kind and Loving ya'll are with the furry kids.
HAve agreat wk.end!
Blessins',Lib

Anonymous said...

peg that first baby looks like it has a little of nitro in him,they r both beautiful,so glad that all r ok.

Rain said...

They are beautiful! I'm so glad everything turned out so well-thanks to your and williams help and who was guiding you both. Have a great week!

Carole Burant said...

I can't imagine you'll ever get tired of seeing the birthing process, such a special time for you and the animals:-) Thank goodness William was able to help get the buckling out, no wonder the poor mama was crying so much. The twins are so precious and it always amazes me how alert they are right after birth!! xoxo