Sunday, February 13, 2011

Bella

I just love Sunday's. Even though its still the same feeding, watering ,etc as every other day everyone and everything seems to want to go at a slower, more enjoyable pace. While doing morning chores I decided to let Bella off her runner. I walked her around the outter edge of the goat pen and she stayed right by my side She would walk and stop on command. I was so proud of her. After morning chores I got out the leash and expected  she would be nervous and not obey any commands since she had never been leashed trained. She did wonderfully. I took her on a walk around our property and even stopped by the other dogs so they could sniff and get use to each other. Bella acted like a lady. Tinker is out of the goat pen for now. She thinks baby goats are toys so has been banned until we get her house moved to the pen with the Jolly and Andy. But Bella met Tinker and when Tinker tried to paw at her or jump Bella would step back and lay her paw gently on Tinker as if to be telling her no in a nice way. She never growled or barked. Just sat or stood quietly while Tinker jumped around like the pup she is (though she weighs 85lbs). I took Bella back to the goat pen and removed the leash.Right away she walked around checking on each goat and sniffing the air to make sure everything was safe. She went to Lexie (Sissy's kid) and gently sniffed and licked her to make sure she was okay then went and sat down where she could keep an eye on the herd. I left her off the runner all day but put her back on for the night. She still goes to the part of the fence she use to get out of when we first got her and just sits and stares off into the woods. I know she misses that freedom to roam that she got for the first time in her life but am hoping she will soon lose that desire and want to stay with her herd.  I am very proud of how far she has come from the dog I couldn't get my hands on to one that greets me at the gate, wagging her tail and wanting her belly rubbed. She knows and obeys the commands: come, stay, sit, and is learning bring to which means bring the goat to me when I point and voice the command. She is very gentle with the all the goats but makes them behave. Buttons and Nannie were butting heads and Bella walked over and stood between them. They stopped and walked away. Jolly was pushing Andy around and Bella went over and nudged Jolly and then stood over Andy. Jolly just walked off. I am so blessed to have her watch over the goats. Now if she can just teach Tinker some of her behavior!  Don't forget to count those blessings... no matter how hidden they may be.

7 comments:

amelia said...

Good for Bella!!! She's getting to know what she has to do and I'm sure you'll soon be able to let her off leash all the time.

Granny said...

What wonderful progress Bella is making. I'm so glad she adopted you as her new mom. She couldn't have found a better home.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet and joyful post Peggy. Sounds like everything is working out. I hope you all have a sweet Valentine's Day. Lots of love, Mildred

Unknown said...

It sounds like you have one heck of a great dog there!

Anonymous said...

Good job Bella!

Blessings,

Amy

DayPhoto said...

You are magic, Peggy! That is what all of this really is...your communication to the animals!

Good Job!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Carole Burant said...

Happy Valentine's Day, sis:-) Make sure you come over to pick up your Valentine!!

Yeahhhhhhhhhh Bella:-) She's learning fast that she's in good hands and has a loving home now. But sis? How the heck do you remember all those names? lol Love ya! xoxo