Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Lot To Say About Nothing

Been kinda a slow day around the homestead. After morning feeding I went ahead and cleaned the ducks and geese swimming pools and refilled them. Bonnie and Clyde (the geese) took a nap while I did theirs but both duck pens were so excited they were splashing and bathing before their pools were even half full. They were so funny to watch. I raked the bucks pen and gave them fresh bedding. Just like most boys, they could care less on having a clean place to sleep and play. They were busy sniffing the girls on the other side of the fence. I cleaned out the rabbit cages and raked the poop and put it on the mulch pile. Tomorrow I will rake all the chicken pens and give them fresh straw in the laying boxes. All the animals seem to be enjoying the little bit of cooler weather we have been having. Bet they are really going to get frisky Friday when we don't get out of the 60's all day! Fall is right around the corner. I can smell it coming! I got some more of the fall outdoor decorations up today. Didn't realize I had so many. Am hoping to finish painting the kitchen ceiling tomorrow and start painting the dining room this weekend. As I have gotten older my arms give out faster and I don't seem to get as much done in a day. I worked a little on putting the herb garden to bed for the winter. I still have a few more to cut and dry. This years herb garden was great. It's my little get away garden. I can just go sit in the glider and enjoy the sights and smells, read a book, day dream, or just enjoy a glass of tea while watching the hummingbirds fly about. I already have plans for adding more herbs next year. We have been working on the wood piles. Time to get firewood cut and split for winter. Daddy always said firewood warms you twice. Once when you cut and stack and then again when you burn it. I am looking forward to a nice cold winter so I can keep that woodstove going. Love keeping the tea kettle singing on the top so I can always have hot water for a nice cuppa tea. Oh cold weather I am so ready to welcome you!  Right now it is the beginning of hard hat season here on the homestead. With all our oak trees the acorns are starting to fall. We have a canopy of oaks over most of the property so that is alot of acorns. When we are doing outside chores and hear each other say ouch or *^# we know they just got hit with a acorn. LOL The pigs and goats will be standing still and all of a sudden jump and run. You know they just got hit with an acorn. Same with the chickens, geese, and ducks. They jump, squawk, and run. Those little acorns carry a mighty big pain when they hit.Along with those acorns come the leaves. Raking leaves is a never ending chore around here. It never gets completely done until its time to start again. But I don't mind cause it means cold weather is near. The homestead is all settled down for the night. The only sounds are the crickets and the call of a hoot owl . Love the peaceful feeling of knowing the animals are all safely tucked in for the night and the house is all quiet. I can actually hear myself think and that is scary! Time to count my blessings instead of sheep! Have a good night and don't forget to count your blessings!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very heartwarming post, Peggy. I remember how those acorns hurt when they fall!!! Hope you are having a restful night and that you'll have a nice day today.

TexWisGirl said...

i love that feeling of all are safe and tucked in too. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice post and thanks for the update!

Blessings,

Amy

Carolyn said...

Nice post to read this morning. And to remind me how much I really do want Fall to come here. At first I was sad that Summer was coming to an end, but then you reminded me of all the wonderful Fall things to look forward to!

carolina nana said...

HaHa funny you should talk about the acorns as I already got hit with one today. I can hear them hitting the tin roofs of the sheds and chicken houses.
Gonna really feel fallish this weekend
If your granddaughters play varsity volleyball, my daughter's compliments to them as she said they are a very good team.
Blessings
Marilyn

Kelly said...

Thanks for stopping by my new blog to leave a comment. I just signed up to be a follower on yours. So, you raise goats? How exciting! They sure are cute. My MIL has always wanted a goat. Ha!